Claridge's Cookbook.
4to. 1fep. Half-title. Frontispiece of the main spiral staircase. Title Page. Verso - Picture of the hotel entrance. 1p Contents. 6p Forward by Rene Redzepi from Copenhagen's Noma. 1p Photograph of Redzepi. [1] 9-10 Introduction. Picture of Martyn Nail Executive Chef. 12-13 A brief history of Claridge's. 2p of Claridge's Ephemera. 16p Claridge's by Numbers. p2 Photographs. (1)Breakfast 20-250. [3] 254-257 Index and Cookery Notes. 258 Acknowledgements. 259 Glossary. (1)Dedication. 1fep. Covers and spine in light green paper. With a thin black cloth bookmarker. In mint condition. As new.
- Claridge's was founded in 1812 as Mivart's Hotel, in a conventional London terraced house, and it grew by expanding into neighbouring houses. In 1854, the founder sold the hotel to a Mr and Mrs Claridge, who owned a smaller hotel next door. They combined the two operations, and after trading for a time as "Mivart's at Claridge's", they settled on the current name. The reputation of the hotel was confirmed in 1860 when Empress Eugenie made an extended visit and entertained Queen Victoria at the hotel. In its first edition of 1878, Baedeker's London listed Claridge's as the first hotel in London Richard D'Oyly Carte, the theatrical impresario and founder of the rival Savoy Hotel, purchased Claridge's in 1894, as part of The Savoy Group, and shortly afterwards demolished the old buildings and replaced them with the present ones. This was prompted by the need to install modern facilities such as lifts and en-suite bathrooms. From 1894 to 1901, Édouard Nignon was the hotel chef. He had lived in Austria and Russia, where he served the highest dignitaries, including the emperors Nicholas II of Russia and Franz Joseph I of Austria. His experience in those huge Royal households being the major factor in his employment, as well as his reputation for fastidious craftmanship in his cookery. The new Claridge's, has 203 rooms and suites and around 400 staff. After the First World War, Claridge's flourished due to demand from aristocrats who no longer maintained a London house, and under the leadership of Carte's son, Rupert D'Oyly Carte, an extension was built in the 1920s. During the Second World War it was the base of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia's forces in exile and home of Peter II of Yugoslavia. He and his wife spent much of the Second World War in exile at Claridge's, and suite 212 was supposedly ceded by the United Kingdom to Yugoslavia for a single day (17 July 1945) to allow their heir, Crown Prince Alexander, to be born on Yugoslav soil. Along with Royalty, leaders in fashion and finance and Hollywood stars also adopted Claridge's as their London residence. Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn, Audrey Hepburn, Yul Brynner and Bing Crosby are all guests. Spencer Tracy says he'd rather go to Claridge's than to heaven when he dies. In 1996, Claridge’s enjoyed a restoration led by designer Thierry Despont. He created Gordon Ramsay at Claridge's, The Foyer, The Reading Room and The Fumoir. In 1999, designer David Collins transformed the Causerie into Claridge’s Bar, with a brief to slip quietly into the new millennium while keeping a firm hold on the last one. In 2014 'Fera at Claridge's' opens under the Michelin-starred chef Simon Rogan. He stayed three years, gained a Michelin star, but the restaurant closed December 31st 2018. The interior of the restaurant, created by widely acclaimed British designer Guy Oliver, reflected the creative and natural style of the cuisine, as well as Claridge's art deco architectural heritage. The new owners of Claridges, the Maybourne Hotel Group opened Claridge’s new restaurant 'Davies and Brook' in 2019 under the acclaimed Chef Daniel Humm. He is the second part of the team consisting also of Will Guidara, who together presided over the three-Michelin-starred restaurant 'Eleven Madison Park' in Manhattan. Continuing the quite varied stages of this great Hotel's history and a well-wished-for future.

click on image to enlarge

Modern category
ref number: 11257